Friday, March 30, 2012

What I Read: March

Well, I didn't get anywhere near where I wanted on the reading front this month. Between worrying about doctor's appointments and babysitting like a crazy person. On that note, much of my "work" this month has been the hands-on variety {I usually read when kids are napping or sleeping} rather than sit-on-the-couch-and-read variety. I actually prefer being up and playing with munchkins, so I can't complain, but my reading does suffer for it.

Here's what I read this month:

19. Fahrenheit 451; Ray Bradbury {audiobook}: Somehow, I've never read this book {confession, I've also never read 1984. Oops}. It was good, but I was kind of expecting more, especially after all of the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads were SO praising. It sends an important message, yes, but I wanted more.

20. Davita's Harp; Chaim Potok: This is one of Potok's typical "coming back to religion" novels that also fits into his "challenge religion" genre. Potok writes Jewish fiction, and generally there's something in each novel that challenges that. I expanded more in my review, but I will say that I DID like the novel, even if it was a bit confusing at times.

21. An American Wife; Curtis Sittenfeld: I didn't like it. It was basically Laura Bush's life made into a fiction novel {the author says it was loosely based on her, but really, there was nothing "loose" about it}. I've read Spoken From the Heart and I liked it far better, and not just because I really like Laura Bush and think she shows far more character than the character in this novel. I recommend reading her memoir instead.

22. The Lovely Bones; Alice Sebold: When I first started reading this one, I didn't know if I'd like it enough to make it all the way through. It's creepy and gory at the beginning {you read the main character's experience as she is kidnapped, raped, and murdered} and that sets a certain tone. By the end, however, I couldn't put it down. I read most of it in a single babysitting night, and it WAS SO GOOD.

23. Seduce Me at Sunrise; Lisa Kleypas {audiobook}: Just as good as the first book in the series. I love the storyline and the erotic portions are well-written.


24. Simply Carnal; Kate Pearce: I heart this series. It's a smutty {very smutty!} series set in Victorian England and follows Madame Helene's Pleasure House, a sex-positive business which caters to many, ahem, tastes. I'm going to post a list of my favorite smutty reads and will elaborate a bit more there, but if you're, erm, adventurous in what you read, this is a well-written series with a great back story!

As a side note, I've decided to limit these posts to every three months or so. Keeping up every. single. month. seems a bit monotonous to me {and I'm the one that read these books!}, so I'm going to switch my focus to more in-depth reviews and do these updates every few months. Look for the next installment in this series at the end of June!

2 comments:

  1. Woo...
    *reaches for a glass of wine*
    I may need to add the works of Kate Pearce to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I have only read The Lovely Bones. It was really good. Hated the movie though. It just doesn't translate.

    ReplyDelete