Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A Beijing Weekend








I like my city. I love how Tianjiners are friendly, delighted to speak with foreigners, and mostly untouched by the hustle and bustle found in many big cities. Yes, this is China, and Tianjin is crowded, and busy, and {currently} hot. But, in general, you meet a lot of very nice people who enjoy that you live in their city. However, sometimes a girl just needs a Starbucks, a bookstore, and a nice, high-quality western-style restaurant. Combine these easy-to-find amenities with a fun cooking class and a trip to a clothing market, and you have a fabulous Beijing weekend!

It was fun to explore and try new things. I made it a point to go to a cooking class, something I have wanted to do since I got here, and to try a new clothing market {both are getting their own blog posts}. Both were fun, and as a bonus, I walked through the western-ized area called Sanlitun where Hollister has just opened a store {see the naked teenagers up there? Yeah, Hollister} to get some coffee, books, and a decent margarita with real tequila in it.

It's funny, because before I moved to China, I never thought these simple things would become luxuries. And yet, they are. Yeah, I can read books on my Kindle {and I do! I still devour them}, and I can get coffee and sort of Mexican food near where I live. But, it's just not the same as wandering through a library or bookstore where you can read all the titles with your favorite coffee made just the way you like it. I can get pretty close in Beijing, but it takes some planning and is a special treat when I go.

What have you treated yourself to lately?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:16 PM

    The other day I treated myself to homemade strawberry daiquiris :)

    ReplyDelete