Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pandas are an international experience

A few years ago, a friend and I {hi, Peanut!} visited the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. I was EXCITED to see the pandas and was disappointed in the view. It was noisy, crowded {if only I would have known how crowded places had the potential to be!}, and the pandas were kept behind glass. Oh yeah, and no pictures allowed. And its back was to us. So much for that.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I joined some friends for a trip to the Beijing Zoo. The crowd to see the pandas was crazy. Pushing, shoving {use your elbows!}, noisy....and the pandas were behind glass. Again. Sigh.

I was dissapointed. I KNOW pandas are rare and endangered. I know that they're so closely guarded because of this. But it saddens me to know that they live in such enclosed spaces and {let's be honest} that I couldn't see one up close.

Or, so I thought. After the madness of the panda house, we walked outside and saw.....pandas. Rather, one panda. Taking a nap. On top of a bamboo fort.






At one point, the panda moved and there was a chorus of "ooohs and aaaahs." The panda did not, mind you, do anything but stretch. I suppose when your national treasure does ANYTHING it is cause for amazement and cooing.

And, just so you don't think all I did was look at pandas, here are some other pictures from the zoo.



{Sea turtle at the Beijing Aquarium}

{Jellyfish at the Beijing Aquarium}

Have a happy day, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, love the contrast between the National Zoo and Beijing! My daughter, husband, and I visited the National Zoo last week, actually, and I have some pictures lined up for that this week. Love that zoo!

    ReplyDelete