Monday, June 18, 2012

Old Friends

I think I've mentioned a few times that I didn't have a great time in high school. I wasn't the kid stuffed into a locker or anything, but I generally didn't have many friends and was ignored by most of the people in my honors classes. I'm sure that being quiet and also opinionated {and let's face it, socially awkward} didn't help, but I also suspect that I didn't have the right clothes, or money, or religion.

So, I have no desire to go to my high school reunion in a few years. I can see the people I want to see without seeing everyone else. At some point, I'm sure morbid curiosity will win out and I'll be tempted to go anyhow, but now? Not really.

On the other hand, I was a big theater nerd. I acted, and did tech {where I made some of my best friends} and generally had a grand time. I credit a lot of my forthrightness and not putting up with crap to my years in tech. The tech director was one of my greatest mentors.

This past weekend we had a huge drama reunion for the head of our department when I was there {he taught at my school for a total of 25 years, starting when it opened}. It was so nice to see old friends and remember some good times and hard work.

Mr. Bradley. He did like to talk when I was in school. He still does.

 Wood storage in the old tech shop. Built a lot of sets in this place.

You can't see it well, but on the second level there's a headless statue named Julio. He was our "ghost" and his head appeared and disappeared with each show. The legend was, if his head fell off at the beginning of the show, it wasn't going to be a good show. We used to always run around and get worried about Julio. I'm sure our directors spent a lot of time rolling their eyes at our obsession. Then, someone threw it away. I think that explains some things.




 Dance party with your old drama teachers? Hilarious. And super fun.

Any blasts from the past for you lately?

1 comment:

  1. My 10-year high school reunion is this fall. I am both dreading it, and (as you said) morbidly curious. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete