Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Recipe: Garlicky Shrimp with Kale and Quinoa

I haven't had the opportunity to cook in awhile. I'm sure you've noticed {big thanks to Diana and Earl-Leigh for filling in that gap} the absence of recipes.

Finally {FINALLY!}, I was able to cook again. The 'rents were at bowling night {side story: they met in a bowling league, and have been in one since then. How CUTE is that?} and I was left to fend for myself. Muahahaha!

I've been kind of obsessed with Quinoa lately. I'm such a rice/pasta/couscous girl, and eating those foods in large quantities just don't fit into my weight-loss goals. So, I went searching for some delicious quinoa recipes that use it as a meal base.

I found this recipe in Pinterest, but it originally comes from Dishing Up Delights, and let me just say: YUM. Very good. Not the cheapest meal in the world {the red quinoa was about $3/pound and the shrimp about $5/pound} but not ridiculously so, and it's healthy. You can feel great about eating large quantities of quinoa and kale. Alternatively, chicken, tofu, or extra veggies would also work very well in this dish.

I altered the recipe a smidge to accommodate my own cooking style, and my preference for un-wilted kale. Completely wilted greens are icky to me {no idea why}, so I switched a few steps to keep the kale crunchy-ish.

Ingredients:
1 cup red quinoa {brown is cheaper, and I don't think it will make a huge difference either way}
1.5 cups of water
2 cups of chopped kale {about half a small bunch}
1/2 pound of peeled and de-veined shrimp
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons minced garlic {from a jar}
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch {or more} of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

Directions:
Combine salt, water, and quinoa, and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
Once it boils, reduce to a simmer until all of the water is absorbed.
Turn off the heat, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.

For the shrimp, heat butter and oil in a saute pan until screamin' hot.
Add the garlic and let cook for a few minutes {don't let it burn!}
Add the shrimp and cook until it begins to look pink.
Add the tomato sauce and continue cooking until shrimp is fully pink.
Turn off the heat, then add the kale. The heat will slightly wilt it, but it will be crunchy.


Squeeze in lemon juice, and add crushed red pepper {if adding}.
Salt and pepper to taste.




Y'all enjoy! This makes fabulous leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment