Monday, January 03, 2011

Money-Saving Monday: the goals

I introduced this feature yesterday, and mentioned that it is part of a link-up. Each week, Pennywise, from The Saved Quarter is going to introduce themes on her blog to follow for the link-up, and most weeks I'll probably follow it.  This week, for example, it is time to set specific goals. So, in order to meet my goals of:

1. Paying off a private loan
2. Giving myself some travel for a graduation present
3. Paying off some car repairs (thank you, The National Bank of my parents!)
4. Having a modest emergency fund
5. Save for a $100 holiday

I will:

1. Have 10 no-spend days every month
2. Shop online and use Ebates, My Points, etc. whenever it is affordable (free shipping, for example).
3. Buy used before I try for new.
4. Seriously limit my coffee shop addiction (I have a new coffee press, so this should be easy!).
5. Write down everything I spend, and everything I save.
6. De-clutter my apartment and sell what I do not need.
7. Find a way to babysit more, sell my crafts, do odd jobs.

Whew!  It's going to be busy, but I hope y'all are prepared to stick around for the ride!

I'm going to track my progress in percentages. I have calculated how much money I am going to need to accomplish all of this, and after I pay tuition later this month, I'm going to start tracking my progress.

What are your financial goals this year?

6 comments:

  1. Great goals!

    What kind of travel do you want to do and how much do you anticipate needing to do it?

    How much is a modest emergency fund for you?

    I look forward to seeing your progress!

    One thing - on the linky, you've got two // at the end of your link so it's not linking here. I don't know if you can edit it - I can't - but you may want to correct it so you get more encouragement from other savers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Link from The Saved Quarter is still broken, but I managed to find you ;o)

    Sounds like we have some similar goals...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same trouble with the linky, but I found you anyway. Good luck with your goals...they seem managable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cherish! I appreciate you finding me, despite my technology issues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren! Good Luck in the challenge! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete