Thursday, December 23, 2010

Orange Chocolate Cupcakes with Citrus Icing

So, I missed YouTube Tuesday this week. Oops. 

To make up for it, I'm going to post one of my new favorite recipes.  I used this one from the Food Network website and altered a few things forgot to do a few things, so I'll post what I *actually* did.  Can I also say that I *heart* Giada de Laurentis?  I'll post a picture as soon as I get my camera on board with this whole thing.

Orange Chocolate Cupcakes with Citrus Icing:

Cupcakes:
1 box chocolate cake mix
the ingredients listed on the box with orange juice substituted for water
The zest of one orange
1 tsp all-purpose flour (I don't think it matters if you use this)

Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick of butter (softened)
The zest + juice of 2 lemons
The juice of 1 orange
chocolate chips

Directions:

To make the cupcakes:
Mix the cake mix according to the box adding the orange juice instead of water.
Add flour and orange zest as well.
Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Fill the cupcakes liners according to package directions (mine were about 2/3 full).
Bake according to package instructions.
Let cupcakes sit until cool (I let them stay in the pans for convenience).

To make the icing:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl (hand mixers are really good for this!) until smooth.
If too "liquidy" add more powdered sugar. If too dry add some water or extra orange/lemon juice.  I also recommend tasting the icing to make sure it's not too strong or sweet for you.
Spread on cupcakes (I used a butter knife, but the original recipe calls for a small spatula).
Top with chocolate chips.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment