Sunday, May 11, 2014

Beijing: The Summer Palace

Up until now, the Temple of Heaven was my favorite spot in Beijing. It is SO iconic and the park is beautiful. Then, I decided to spend a quick weekend ticking a few boxes of my Beijing Bucket List and  went to the Summer Palace.

I only had about hours to spend, but I could have easily spent the entire day there, soaking up the trees and flowers. It was gorgeous. And, it was a great opportunity to play with the camera my family helped me buy for Christmas!

This park was once a place for emperors and his favorites to go to escape the heat of the Beijing summer. Now, it is one of Beijing's biggest public parks. The area is huge and includes a man made lake, a marble boat, and plenty of nooks and crannies to get lost in. I didn't really encounter many other people until I got close to the water, which was nice. It was a perfect three hours, and I wish I had time to go again before I move south.

 This is Suzhou street. I'm not entirely sure why it was there, but there were a few little shops and restaurants along the way.

As I was aimlessly wandering, I encountered a sort of "backstage area" that was roped off. This being China, I ignored the rope and got this great shot of two fishermen. When it comes down to it, we are more alike than we think. How many of us have dad or grandpas that look just like this?


 This was my favorite spot in the entire park.







Sometimes it's easy to forget that Beijing is {sort of} in the mountains with all the pollution. The day I was here was a bit hazy, but you could still see pretty far the higher you climbed. What have you seen recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment