Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: Outlander

I have been under a book rock, lately, y'all. I finally started reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It keeps me up at night. Despite how much I've loved some series like the All Souls Trilogy, I haven't stayed up all night and eschewed work to read in quite a long time {honestly, maybe since Harry Potter}. I find myself distracted in the middle of writing lesson plans and washing dishes. I have to know what's going to happen from chapter-to-chapter, and book-to-book. At one point, I was getting ready to go to work early to catch up on some things and something happened that delayed my departure by an hour. "I don't have time for these plot twists," I cried!


{Source: Goodreads}
The story begins in a bed and breakfast in Scotland, and follows the couple Claire and Frank Randall. It's after the end of the Second World War, and these two were separated for a few years, right after they were marries. They spend some time exploring the country-side, mapping genealogy, and doing couple-y things {*wink}. One morning, Claire goes out to explore a set of stone circles called Craigh-Ne-Dun.....

...is sucked into the past where she not only has to escape the British Army {the soldiers she encounters are not nice}, but she meets {dreamy} Jamie Frasier and his family and is taken back to Castle Leoch of the MacKenzie clan. After a few more plot bumps, she is married to Jamie as a matter of convenience. His name and family will protect her from an evil British officer, and give her more standing in a time when {and country where} she doesn't belong. Though she plans to run away to her own time, she grows to deeply love Jamie. Though they travel widely later in the series, this opening novel is full of good, old-fashioned galavanting around the Scottish country-side in kilts {oh, and there is plenty of detail on THAT}!

I just finished the 3rd book, Voyager, and the 4th is waiting on my Kindle. The weirdest things happen to this pair, but I love how they can handle anything. It helps, of course that Jamie is a total dreamboat: kind, courageous, intelligent {he's a polyglot}, loyal, strong, handsome, and fantastic in bed. Oh, and he's a red head. Yum. This series does it all for me.

What have you been reading lately?


3 comments:

  1. This has been on my to-read list forever and I'm excited to start reading it at some point this year. I'm glad you liked it!

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such an interesting concept for a book! I'll have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such great things about this series! I actually found a copy of my mom's, but haven't yet had a chance to start it. Although since it's about to be a tv show, maybe it's time to finally start!

    ReplyDelete