Friday, March 29, 2013

What I read: Winter 2012 Edition

Well, I'm late {reeeaaallly late} getting this post up. The end of the year was...hectic and emotional, and everything in between. That isn't an excuse, perhaps, but it is a reason.

But, this is better late than never, I hope!

Here is how I finished off my Book Year of 2012:

72. Lady Sophia's Lover; Lisa Kleypas: Let's be honest. I read this a few months ago and don't remember a whole lot about it. I can honestly say, though, that I love Lisa Kleypas, her novels are always well-written with some pretty fiery scenes. You can't go wrong with any of her novels.

73. Worth Any Price; Lisa Kleypas: I remember this one a bit more than Lady Sophia's Lover. A gentleman is hired to find a noblewoman who has run away. Nick, the main character of the novel, begins this job as he does any other-without any care for the young woman he is being paid to seek. Of course, because this is a romance novel, he learns that there is more to the situation, they marry, fall in love, the usual. In all, a good romance novel, a good diversion, a solid choice.

74. Reflected in You; Sylvia Day: I did not like this novel. I did not like the way she portrayed her characters. I did not like it at all. You can read my review here.

75.-78. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; J.K. Rowling: Obviously these were a re-read {for the who knows which time!}. I still love these novels as much as I did when I first read them.

79. Naked; Raine Miller: I love Raine Miller. She is my new romance author love. She's like Sylvia Day, but I like her characters better. This novel is predictable but enjoyable: the heroine who is independent, the hero who is handsome, rich, and powerful and sweeps the heroine off her feet {though, the heroine does put up a considerable fight}. A solid choice.

80. Traitors of the Tower; Allison Weir: It's no secret that one of my favorite eras of history to read about is the reign of King Henry VIII and Elizabethan England. I love books about Anne Boleyn and Bloody Mary and everyone of this time. This book gives an in-depth analysis of the seven people, three of whom had been queens of England, who were sent to the tower and beheaded. This was a quick read {I read it in an hour or so at a Starbucks} and gripping. It is an essential read if, like me, you cannot get enough of this era.

81. Remarkable Creatures; Tracy Chevalier: This was a rather enjoyable novel. You can read my in-depth review here.

82. Sacred Treason; James Forrester: I loved this novel. Set in 16th century England, we follow Clarenceaux, a Catholic in fear of persecution. One night, a friend knocks on his door begging him to hide a manuscript for him. What results is an intense story of intrigue, secret societies and a life and death chase. I could not put down this novel. I love spy/secret society/intrigue novels, and this one was wonderful. It was fast-paced, the characters were fairly realistic, and I just really enjoyed it. If you like The Da Vinci Code style novels, you'll like this one.

83. All In; Raine Miller: This is the sequel to Naked. Everything I said about that novel is true for this one.

84. The Maze Runner; James Dashner: I definitely jumped on the Young Adult dystopian band wagon after The Hunger Games. This novel was a good addition to that category. There was definitely a cliff-hanger at the end of it. One of these days I'll get around to reading the other two in this series, but to be honest I don't feel as if I have to read them right this second. It's a good novel, but not a rush-to-the-bookstore-and-buy-the-next-novel kind of book.

85. Stardust; Neil Gaimman: I found this one in my favorite foreign languages bookstore in Beijing. I was craving a fun fairytale style novel and this one did not disappoint. It's as magical as the movie, a gentle story that is perfect to read in bed or in a coffee shop with a cup of hot cocoa. As usual, Neil Gaiman has provided us with a wonderful story!

As always, you can follow my current reading schedule on Goodreads and my book board on Pinterest {icons on the right hand bar}. What have you been reading lately?






2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but I have read several of Allison Weir's and I've loved everyone. If you haven't read her fiction yet, I think you really should pick up Innocent Traitor.

    And while I haven't read Stardust, I did see the movie and absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up Stardust because I adored the movie so much! I usually think that books are better than movies, and this one definitely was!

      Delete