Thursday, May 31, 2012

Into the Wild Blue Yonder...

Something I've been curious about for awhile is flying. When I was in high school I knew a girl who was about to earn her pilot's license through the Civil Air Patrol and I was in awe that she could do that. My physics teacher was also a pilot as is one of my uncles, and I wondered what it must be like to fly a plane. I had enough trouble with driver's ed, y'all {no really. driving for the first time was TERRIFYING!}.

When I got to college I was an aerospace engineering major and became obsessed with planes, something which sort of carried over when I left that field of study. It's carried over enough that one of the items on my Bucket List is to learn to fly a plane.

So, when Groupon ran a special with The Flight School I snapped it up pleaded with people on Facebook to add it to my Christmas list. One of my {awesome} aunts gifted me a discovery flight just because and a few weeks ago I finally had the chance to redeem it.

Y'all it was cool. I would even say that it was cooler than when I went skydiving {obviously different, too! I stayed IN the plane this time}. I got to fly in this cute little plane, which may or may not be smaller than my car.



David, my instructor was hilarious and took me to downtown Houston.


{Hello, smog!}


He even let me "fly" the plane and "land it." It's kind of like driver's ed where the instructor has a separate brake on his side {except there's a whole steering wheel thing and both of them make the plane move in the exact same way}. I'm fairly certain I didn't actually do much of anything, but it was fun to just fly around in a little bitty plane and watch people sit in traffic.

Here's a picture of the cockpit {which, really, is the WHOLE PLANE}:



And a series of pictures from the front windshield with the propeller.




So fun! I hope, one day, to work toward a pilot license. Of course, I'd have to sort out the motion sickness issue {helllooo Dramamine!} but I think that's easily solved.


Anyone else "flown" {or really flown!} a plane? Did you enjoy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment