Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Tough Decision

It never rains, but it pours, right?

A few weeks ago I had two scheduled job interviews: one a surprise and one that came quickly after application. One was Tuesday, one was Wednesday. Both via Skype/phone.

I was offered both positions last Friday.

Here's the breakdown:

Job A: Good salary {but could be higher, but is fantastic for the locale}, good benefits, great company {who I have worked with before and loved}, and awesome location {as in, international}. This one also allows for quick advancement, I got to choose my start date, and relocation is paid for {mostly}.

Job B: Excellent salary, benefits {5 weeks of vacation, y'all!}, and a direct use of my degree {youth development} and my background {outdoor programs and summer camping}. This one could potentially offer advancement but I know from experience that it could be slow and it would mean a quick start and cross country move {without moving assistance}.

I stewed about this all last weekend. My heart wanted Job A, and my brain kept stewing about Job B. To complicate matters, I didn't actually have a salary offer from Job B until after the weekend, so I was making a decision based on what I thought the offer might be {and it turned out much higher}.

It was probably the most stressful decision I have ever made. I'm not kidding. I woke up one night {in the middle of the night}, couldn't sleep, and spent 5 hours pricing apartments in the areas for both jobs. I asked a lot of people opinions about what would look better on my resume, about what living in various places was like, checking weather. I switched back and forth dozens of times. I was never sure what the right answer was.

And I made a decision. I'll share more later this week, but I'm curious. What would you have chosen?


  1. Just on what you've shared, A- all the way. The opportunity to live overseas & to work with a company you know will be a good employer. The quick advancement would allow you more opportunities to switch companies or positions in the future.

    GL- and congrats!

  2. Such a tough decision! I can see why you'd be losing sleep over this! I would have chosen Job A based on what you've said. Usually making more money isn't as important as being happy and enjoying what you are doing. Good luck and I hope the transition to the new job (whichever of the two it may be) goes smoothly!

  3. I would've chosen A solely for the fact that you said your heart wants it. Its best to do something you'll enjoy. I can't wait to hear which one you chose!

  4. Anonymous11:15 AM

    This is hard and I've been there. After I graduated from college we went on a big family trip to Hawaii. I was offered 2 jobs while I was there and had to spend the whole vacation stressing about which to choose. Ugh.

    There is no way I can say what I would have chosen based off your info but if you but I'm sure you did your research and made the right choice ;)

  5. This is so tough. I recently had something very similar. Just make a decision and dont ask what if later :)

  6. We don't have all the details of either job or know your needs as well as you do, but I would choose A.


  7. First off congratulations! Second off - I am SO EXCITED for you. Seriously...SO excited :) YAY
    I'm not sure what I would have chosen - I would have prayed about it and then seen where I was led to go
    I hope you are okay with the decision you made ;)

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

  8. woo hoo!
    i think you should always follow your heart.
    i have had so many amazing opportunities that happened cuz i took a huge chance.
    so pumped to follow your journey!