Saturday, February 19, 2011

Book Review: The Poisonwood Bible

It's been awhile since I wrote a book review. Not, mind you, because I haven't been reading. Rather, because I haven't had the time to seriously think about books. It's easy to write recipes and money-saving blog-posts. Those pretty much write themselves. Book reviews? Not so much.



But, in January I picked this book up, and read it in a day. One day. That's rare for me because I never have that much of a chunk of time. So, in honor of it being the weekend and me wanting nothing more than to curl up with a good book {ha!}, I leave you with this book review.

The Poisonwood Bible is a story told by the women of the Price family from Georgia. Orleanna {mother}, Rachel {oldest, spoiled}, Leah, Adah (twins, Leah is a tomboy, Adah has a physical disability) and Ruth May {youngest, highly adventurous} follow Nathan {father, Souther Baptist preacher} on a mission trip to the Congo where they face more than one major catastrophe.

I love the way Kingslover follows each member of the family, and uses them to follow Nathan. She highlights the mission {the majority of the book} and the events following it {how they escape the Congo, how everyone seems to be tied to Africa for the rest of their lives} with incredible use of prose and storytelling. As you progress through the book you begin to identify who you're reading without looking at the chapter titles.  It really caused me to question some of my future plans, and to examine some of the things I believe about missions, poor, impoverished nations {and their citizens}, and programs like the Peace Corps whose sole purpose it is to "fix" these problems.

This is a quick {ish} read, and well worth it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

Happy Weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment