Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Blast From the Past

Well, kind of. For those of you non-Texans out there, every year we have Go Texan month. That's when we all get extra Texasy and do stuff like go to the rodeo (btw, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is an awesome organization that gives out LOTS of scholarship money), and wear boots more than normal. School kids learn "country dancing," how to sing Texas Our Texas (so we can sing it at every sporting event in the state!), and memorize things like the state flower (bluebonnet), and tree (pecan).

When I was  kid, we'd be sitting in school and all of a sudden the PA system would come on and we'd be told to go outside because the Trail Riders were coming!  These people organize themselves in their localities and ride to various places (like my elementary school!) on the way to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. They camp, wave at people, and generally tie up traffic like nobody's business (like hours worth of traffic on the way to Reliant Stadium).
Driving back home from my parent's house, guess what I saw (taking up the entire in-bound lane of a state highway, I might add)? You guessed it! I snapped these on my cell-phone, while I was driving (reeeeally slowly).



It totally made my day. Just when I get tired of being in Texas (let's face it, I'm a liberal girl in a VERY conservative state), something like this happens to remind me that I really do love it here (most of the time).  Have a Happy Tuesday, friends!

BTW, Kim at yellowsongbird is hosting another awesome giveaway! You should go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment