Thursday, December 02, 2010

Handmade

Hello friends!

How is everyone's holiday shopping going?  Mine is almost done, thank goodness.  That's a change from last year-this time in November of 2009 I had barely started. In fact, I did not finish until after finals.  At least I found one thing to get done on time (thankyou, Thesis).

You know what else is different from last year?  I made a pledge to buy handmade items instead of those made in sweatshops.  I'm not going to lie-it's hard, and expensive. I recently bought myself a rolling pin on etsy for $15. It would have cost $7 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. But, you know what? MY rolling pin is made from recycled poplar wood and the proceeds directly benefit the sellers, not a random corporation.  So, take the pledge with me. Etsy has a wonderful selection of everything. You just have to shop around for what you want at a price you can afford.

Not alot of money to dedicate towards buying handmade? What a perfect time to make something yourself!  It doesn't have to look like that handprint card you made in 1st grade either.  Hobby Lobby and Michael's have some awesome stuff to make cards, knit scarves, put together jars or baskets of cookies, make ornaments, sew pillows, hand warmers and blankets, etc.  You are limited only by your imagination.

So, I say again: take the pledge!

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

No comments:

Post a Comment