Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Shiner Cheer Stew

So, this is kind of an untimely recipe. For one, it's humid and gross outside. Two, everyone is about to eat turkey, and continue eating for the next week or so. But, in case you don't do the turkey coma thing, or your family doesn't send you home with leftovers, here is my recipe for Shiner Cheer Stew! Can I say, though, that I have never had better tasting meat? And I include in that some really great steak meals I've had over the years.

Keep in mind that I made this one up on the fly, so make substitutions, change ingredients, etc. None of this will be detrimental to the stew unless you don't add the Shiner Cheer! Also, I used my 3 QT crock pot, so be sure to keep that in mind when you make your stew.

Ingredients:

1lb stew meat (for the record, I'd probably put in about 2lbs next time, and cut down on the mushrroms)
20 (ish) baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 onion
5 cloves garlic (LOVE garlic!)
beef broth
1 bottle of Shiner Cheer
Frozen peas (1.5 cups? I just sort of dumped a bunch in)
corn starch
water

Chop the onion and mince the garlic
Add to bottom of slow cooker
Add the mushrooms
Make sure the beef is in bite-sized chunks.
Season with salt & pepper, cayenne, and ground mustard.
Add to slow cooker.
Pour in bottle of beer, and add enough beef broth to cover the beef (don't over flow).
Cook on low at least 7 hours.
About 15 minutes before you serve, add the peas.
About 5 minutes before serving turn the slow cooker on high.
Mix some cornstarch and water (should be a milk like consistency. I usually add about 2-3 HEAPING tablespoons to a bowl, and slowly add water. When you stop having the starch clump and stick to the bottom, it's the right consistency).
Add to the stew stirring quickly. You should immediately see the stew thicken. Keep adding the mixture until you reach your desired thickness.

I made no-knead bread rolls and ate one warm smeared with butter alongside the stew. Pefect for a cold winter evening!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment